Everyone is always looking for the next silicon valley and there are always rumors of which nation will rise to the challenge. Often times countries do not live up to the hype but sometimes there is merit behind all the buzz, the perfect example being Estonia. You can’t talk about digital excellence without mentioning Estonia in the same sentence, after-all they are nicknamed E-stonia for a reason. This European nation loves technology as their president Toomas-Hendrik believes the tech industry is the future and it is not uncommon for technology education to be taught at the kindergarten level. This is the same nation which were the brains behind Skype and Kazaa, which was once a file sharing giant.
This is a nation where voting can be done from the couch and you can sign documents digitally as Estonia has one of the fastest broadband Internet speeds in the world. In 2000, the government deemed Wi-Fi a human right and made this service free throughout the country, it is no wonder Estonia is home to so many wonderful startups.
15 Estonian Startups You Should Know About
1. 3D Wayfinder – 3D Wayfinder is a digital building directory that helps visitors find their way in large public buildings and building managers to earn new revenue through advertising sales. The solution has been designed to provide a pleasant and a convenient navigation experience.
2. Bondora –Bondora is a meeting place where individuals and businesses can borrow and lend money between each other. This website unites investors and borrowers from all corners of the world and allows them to borrow up to £10,000 quickly and easy.
3. Click & Grow – Click & Grow is a smart system that independently grows plants without the need of watering, fertilizing or any gardening know-how. They develop innovative plant growing systems from flowerpots to city farms.
4. DonateIT – DonateIt links together blood donors and donation centres in a quick and convenient way. They allow centres to inform potential donors when their particular blood type is needed and to keep them involved throughout the year. The app aims to promote regular blood donation, especially amongst younger people. It also tracks and shares your blood donations, how much you donated and when you can do it next. DonateIT makes donating blood socially engaging competing against one another for who can save the most lives.
5. Erply – Erply 3.0 gives retail stores a new operating system which adds social features to small businesses and makes them easy to use for everyone. ERPLY is a real-time POS & retail management system that manages all areas of your retail organization including point of sale, sales back office, inventory management, employee payroll, accounting, customer CRM, multi-channel/e-commerce and more, in a single integrated system.
6. Fleep – Fleep is a chat communication tool for teams and businesses. Incorporating some elements of Skype and email, Fleep is a simple tool that strives to replace email in a business environment and helps you organise your multiple discussion streams easily.
7. Flirtic – Flirtic is the future of online dating, it makes dating more social and flirtatious, giving users the ability to express themselves more easily in order to find their perfect match. Flirtic.com incorporates the most popular and addictive features of social networks, including messaging, wall posting, ‘likes’ and entertaining games and quizzes. These features make it easy for even the shyest and most cautious people to help them to engage with new people, break the ice and start conversations.
8. Funderbeam – Funderbeam x-rays startups using standardised scores and familiar metrics from the financial markets. They provide startup intelligence to wealthy individuals and professional investors from start to exit and offer them unbiased analytics. They are a startup which provides information about other startups.
9. GrabCAD – GrabCAD is leading the open engineering movement, helping engineers get products to market faster by enabling truly collaborative product development. Their collaborative product development (CPD) tool helps engineering teams manage, view and share CAD files in the cloud.
10. HealthDiary – Using HealthDiary gives you a safe and a private place to keep, access and easily export all health-related notes, reminders, reports, pictures of children. You can record your child’s growth milestones, stomach troubles and doctor’s visits. Reminders help you keep track of important appointments. It also lets analyse your child’s data across the years or bring it along to the next doctor’s visit. HealthDiary is currently preparing for a beta launch, you can sign up now and be the first to use HealthDiary.
11. Lingvist – Lingvist is a personalised approach to language learning that makes every learner a fast learner. Using mathematical optimisation, Lingvist’s tool tailors tasks according to your knowledge and skills. They take languages apart and arrange them into microlessons that each learner completes in the order that is most efficient for them.
12. Marinexplore – Marinexplore provides a proprietary cloud platform that helps streamline ocean data workflows and make sense of large-scale disparate ocean data. They help customers make better business decisions faster by dramatically reducing data handling time and mitigate environmental risk in offshore and maritime businesses.
13. SignWise – SignWise service cloud offers legally binding e-signing and strong user authentication both in-country and across borders. Their technology allows anyone to sign a document legally across the border on any device in just minutes. Here’s exactly how it works.
14. Realeyes – Realeyes is able to understand people’s feelings and behaviour based off their body language and gestures. Using this data, Realeyes enables brands, publishers and agencies to make profitable marketing decisions by measuring emotions via webcam in real-time.
15. Wellbiome – This wellness service adds scientific precision to your dietary decisions and helps to improve your quality of life by providing you a DNA analysis of your gut microflora. Wellbiome’s mission is to give people insight into their body and increase wellbeing and quality of life with relatively small effort.